Author Topic: The Tarcutta Poltergeist: Tarcutta NSW  (Read 7561 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
The Tarcutta Poltergeist: Tarcutta NSW
« on: June 13, 2018, 06:11:44 AM »
Its in wee hours and old Kanacki's bones ache badly with the cold and arthritis. Awake an unable to see I figure I need to be doing some thing even if in the wee early hours.

The following story is dated from 1949 tells of a strange haunting at a farm near Tarcutta New south wales.
The picture below is the actual cow shed that still exist from the time of these strange events. That eventual had the CSIRO become involved. Note to all guests if you cannot see the picture I suggest you join the form to see some amazing things.

On 20 January 1949, The Sydney Morning Herald reported on some puzzling happenings in a milking shed on a dairy farm at Tarcutta near Wagga Wagga in southern New South Wales.

For no apparent reason, metal plates and other fittings attached to Laurie Wilkinson’s milking machine were hurled from the shed out into the paddock up to 250 yards away by some unknown force.

“You might think we are ‘loco’ here, but I’ve got about 16 witnesses,” Mr Alexander Portors, of Tarcutta, told a Herald reporter by phone when the story first broke.

“I’ve run an engineering business for 30 years, and I’ve never seen or heard of anything like this. The makers of the machine sent a man here from Albury to have a look at it. When he arrived yesterday the machine had stopped throwing the plates. He went away thinking all the dairy farmers here are a ‘bit cuckoo’.”

But the strange phenomena would soon manifest again, and Laurie Wilkinson and the other witnesses would soon be taken seriously.

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Re: The Tarcutta Poltergeist: Tarcutta NSW
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 06:17:37 AM »
On one occasion, in front of intrigued locals, Laurie Wilkinson’s 15 year-old son, Robin, began to move one of the plates with an iron bar when the bar was suddenly wrenched from his hands and became embedded in the concrete floor while the plate was flung 200 yards away.

Mr Clem Gorman, of Sydney, was holidaying in the area and witnessed the flying plates firsthand. “I saw it, but I wish to God I had not seen it. It is frightening,” he said.

“There’s no reason so far as I can see why this should happen, and I’m a mechanical man. I wish I’d never seen it because it disturbs me greatly.”

Flying metal parts & floating tin cans

The holidaymaker wasn’t the only one disturbed by the mystery. Laurie Wilkinson was at a loss as the plates kept flying. He tried cutting the fibre faces off the plates and replacing them with stronger leather, but the plates were thrown even further. He then tried holding down all moving parts of the machine by securing them to the walls and rafters of the shed with chains, wire and rope.

This didn’t work either.

The milking machine’s metal parts continued flying off, twisting the heavy iron chains as if they were soft copper wire. Intriguingly, the plates were also thrown while the milking machine was switched off and the machine belt turned by hand.

Hundreds of metal parts, weighing from two ounces to several pounds were flung as far as 250 yards away.

Even a cast-iron axle weighing 65 pounds was lifted two feet off the ground with a noise described by Wilkinson as “a terrific bang”.

Soon, Laurie switched off the machine and resorted to milking his cows by hand.

One frequent witness, Alexander Portors gave the following account to a Sunday Herald reporter. “I was standing in the creamery with some friends watching the master pulsator, which had been flying off.

“Mr. Wilkinson walked into the engine-room and turned off the engine. He had only just left the engine-room when an empty one-pound grease tin, which had been standing on the top of the vacuum pump, began to rise slowly in the air. We saw it spinning as it rose.

“It cleared a six foot wooden partition … then turned and fell with terrific force to the ground about 18 inches from where I stood.

“A peculiar thing about it was, that it seemed much bigger than it really was – as big as a football. I suppose that was because it was spinning diagonally.

“We were so astonished we thought we’d see what would happen to an empty 50-cigarette tin. We put it on the top of the moisture trap of the vacuum pump. A minute or two later it also rose over the six foot partition.”

Scientists puzzled … and a strange new theory

Eleven months after the plates first began flying, the mystery remained unsolved and the disruption to the daily milking routine at the Tarcutta dairy farm continued.

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 06:19:28 AM »
On 7 December 1949, The Sydney Morning Herald again reported on the mystery in Scientists Puzzled By Mystery Of “Haunted” Farm.

“All kinds of theories, some serious, some jocular, were advanced in Sydney yesterday to account for the strange happenings reported to have terrorised residents at Mr. Lawrence Wilkinson’s ‘haunted’ farm near Tarcutta.

“For 11 months, it is claimed, parts of a milking machine have been flying mysteriously in all directions, and metal objects have been seen floating in mid-air.

“Speculation ranges from black magic and evil spirits to a new theory of gravitation.”

The paper reported that local Shire President and President of the Tarcutta and District Progress Association, Mr A A O’Brien, had invited scientists to investigate the mystery.

“If there’s any hidden source of energy in the vicinity of Mr. Wilkinson’s dairy it should be thoroughly investigated in the public interest. If it costs money we are prepared to assist financially,” O’Brien said.

Officers of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) had visited the dairy but were satisfied that “the occurrences are not related to any new source of energy”.

Leonard Gulson, a Sydney physicist, posited a theory on the cause of the strange activity at the Wilkinson farm.

“Thousands of miles below the surface of the earth, far below the earth’s hard crust, vast masses of molten matter rotate at great speeds, setting up gravitational turning torques about a line drawn at right angles through the centre of each rotating mass.

“Now if the centre lines from two or more of these great rotating masses of molten metal cross at a point near the earth’s surface an increased force or torque will be created at that point.

“And if this point where the forces cross is above the earth’s surface, a distinct lifting and turning motion will be created at that spot, causing stationary objects to be whirled or whisked first upward and then outward toward the direction of whatever force is the stronger.

“Naturally, it is only at very rare occasions when such converging forces would cross in the ether at a point low enough to the earth’s surface to be observed by man in the manner experienced on this farm, and in any case, the phenomena would disappear in time as the moving masses of molten matter harden and the angle of their forces change direction.

“This theory is a more scientific and reasonable way of accounting for the mysterious behaviour of metal objects on Mr. Wilkinson’s farm than suppositions about ghosts, black magic, and poltergeists,” Gulson claimed.

to be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:21:41 AM »
But Gulson’s theory was soon derided by Professor V A Bailey, professor of physics at Sydney University. “Such a nebulous theory is unknown to me,” he said of Gulson’s theory. “It cannot be regarded as a serious solution of the problem.”

So, much for that! Now, back to the suppositions about ghosts, black magic, and poltergeists.

Whole affair is of poltergeist origin

A member of London’s Magic Circle, said to be the leading and oldest society of amateur and professional magicians in England, wrote that after visiting the dairy farm, he believed poltergeist activity was to blame.

“After a visit to Mr. Wilkinson’s so-called ‘haunted’ dairy and a careful study of all the evidence, I am convinced that the whole affair is of poltergeist origin…

“When I went to Mr. Wilkinson’s dairy I had two things to settle in my mind. Was the rampaging, milking machine in a state of neglect and disrepair? And was there any loophole for trickery?

“The answer to the first question was patently ‘No’.

“Mr. Wilkinson himself is too stolid and hard-working a farmer to want to play tricks on himself. The continued disintegration of his milking machine has imposed a tremendous physical strain upon him and reduced his nervous system to a wreck.

“Then what of his son, Robin? Here is a strong, healthy boy of 15, obviously interested in machinery, always doing odd jobs in the dairy and – most suspicious circumstance of all – the indefatigable retriever of missing engine parts.

“But I am convinced Robin intentionally was not responsible for these strange goings-on.

“The evidence of eyewitnesses is that although he was present when some phenomena were happening, he was miles from the place when other things happened.

“Yet it was the boy Robin who gave me a clue. He said, in answer to my question: ‘Not much happens when I’m away’.

“That was it. The history of psychical research in other countries proves that nearly all poltergeist phenomena occur in the presence of a human agent, usually an adolescent boy or girl.

“In other words, I think it reasonable to suspect that the absurd happenings at Mr. Wilkinson’s farm are of poltergeist origin and that the human agent in the case is Mr. Wilkinson’s son.”

to be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:13:18 AM »
Another interesting tale KANACKI with, from what I have read so far there could be two reasons for the metal to be lifted, turned and flung, in pretty much the same direction:

1. It seems the reason provided by Leonard Gulson, a Sydney physicist, posited a theory on the cause of the strange activity at the Wilkinson farm, was quickly "thrown-out" as being a possible reason.

It was my thought as I started reading the tale, that such a cause could be that around the area and below the Milking Shed the crossing of two energy points, one energy being the Telluric Current and the other being the energy, both of which traverse below the Earth.

Each intersecting point, of which it is said are between 70 and 80 create different effects, in this case, the effect on the parts in the Milking Shed at Tarcutta.

2. I am somewhat surprised how quickly the other expert, Professor V A Bailey, professor of physics at Sydney University, derided the reasonable scientific cause posited by Leonard Gulson, a Sydney physicist and the Professor quickly agreed that it was a Poltergeist, who was active, when the 15-Year-Old son, Robin was present although no reason was obvious for such a theory.

Was Professor Baily paid by a newspaper to put forward this theory; this cannot be proven at this point.

To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 04:55:37 PM »
Hello Simon I am not sure?

But I think if the CSIRO was involved in studying this event, I would think it strange for a scientific body would indulge in such research?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 09:56:05 AM »
Hi KANACKI, I hope you are keeping well at the moment.

Yes, my thought exactly; makes me think that they believe something supernatural was happening and not "man-made".

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 12:20:06 PM »
The following picture indicates how far items was thrown from shed. According to the picture quite extraordinary distances. Far beyond the throwing distance of an alleged mischievous schoolboy.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 11:17:15 AM »
Hi KANACKI, I think that given the distance the objects were thrown could not be thrown by either a teenager or an adult.

We therefore have perhaps two possible causes:

1. A poltergeist who is both trying to get attention and also causing mischief by causing the objects to have to be picked-up. This is possibly caused by a "Low-Level Poltergeist", i.e., not one setting out to cause physical harm; or

2. The shed is above the occasional crossing of two earth Ley-Lines, which creates a reverse magnetic force, repelling metal objects of a small size and in the same direction.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 11:45:08 PM »
Hello Simon.

Quite possible. I tend to lean to your second point.

I do not know enough of poltergeists to make any meaningful hypothesis.

One thing for sure the story is intriguing one.

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »
Hello KANACKI, you are correct, the story is certainly an intriguing one.

Hopefully over time someone will be able to find a definitive answer.

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »
Hello Simon

Makes me wonder if there is still activity there today?

It might answer a lot of questions?

Kanacki

Offline deka

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 10:08:23 PM »
What an interesting story! When it said plates I figured they meant the bits were flying off the plate-cooler, but sounds like the bits were coming off the pulsator which is a bit bizarre.
We have always said, gosh why would you want to haunt a dairy, but it happens.

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 10:50:50 AM »
Hello Deka

Sounds you have working knowledge of a dairy? I am not sure exactly what a plate cooler and pulsator is?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »
Hi Deka, welcome to KANACKI's "Wonderful and Enjoyable, World of Australian [Ghost, or other reason] Tales".

Keeps me on my toes.

I am leaning, with you KANACKI, that it is reason number 2 (in my prior Post), rather than a Poltergeist, who would not be "caught dead" in and around a Milking Shed. ROFL

(Confucius)

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal