Author Topic: Apparition in Government house Hobart TAS  (Read 10693 times)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Apparition in Government house Hobart TAS
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
Apparition no less is alleged to have haunted the Neo Gothic building in Hobart that is the state of Tasmania's Government house. When we think of ghost sightings we always think of sighting by ordinary people and strange is it not when you have a state governor general and his wife who lived at the house for 5 years report that the building was haunted....

Indeed that is what exactly happened many years ago.

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
Re: Apparition in Government house Hobart TAS
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 10:46:15 PM »
In 1951 the Newspaper the Mirror dated 26th of May reported a story posted below, of the leaving Governor General Sir Hugh Binny and lady Binny. They had spent the last 5 years residing at Hobart's Government house and reported that they had experience strange experiences at the 1860 Gothic revival Mansion.

Looking at the mansion itself it would be easy to assume it was haunted as it has the classic facade of a haunted mansion. If this was so then by who?

But for now we will press on on with their story of their ghostly encounters at government House.

The specter only it appears in the Evening. one such encounter. At 10pm lady Binny heard a spectral voice cry out " A quarter past Eleven!" From an otherwise empty room.

Vice regal Houseman George heron believes he sighted the ghost one night upstairs? But was not quite sure if it was reflection or a real spook as it was only fleetingly down a long hallway. Another Lady Binny saw who she thought was George on the corridor at distance but turned out to be a mystery? As for George Heron was actually downstairs in the kitchen at the time.

Who was this mystery spook that haunted the old hallways during the night?

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »
Governor General Sir Hugh Binny and lady Binny was a popular governor of Tasmania during their 5 year terms and really took on the Tasmanian lifestyle. However soon after retiring from the post of Governor of Tasmania they returned to England where he died in 1953.

Was the phantom a premonition of his coming death? Or was the phantom for an earlier event?

To be continued....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »
Researching  back into the history of the old building one finds the following...

The first substantial Government House was built in 1817 in Macquarie Street on an area now occupied by Franklin Square, Elizabeth Street and the Town Hall. However this building proved to be inadequate and Governor Arthur decided that it needed to be replaced by a house on the present site at Pavilion Point. After several delays construction of the present Government House commenced in 1855. Some of the sandstone used in construction was excavated from quarries at the site, which are now ornamental pools. Local timbers were used for the joinery and Welsh slate for the roofs. Furnishings were ordered from Trollope and Sons, London.

The main of the construction was completed in 1857 and on the 2 January 1858 Sir Henry Fox Young became the first Governor to take up residence.  Internal finishing was completed over the following two years.

Apart from the conservatory, which was rebuilt in accordance with the original uncompleted plan in 1991, the structure of Government House remains as it was when it was first occupied.

Tasmania's Government House is today regarded as one of the best Vice-Regal residences in the Commonwealth. Designed by colonial architect William Porden Kay, it is a fine example of an early Victorian country house in neo-Gothic style and is one of the largest of its type in Australia. The scale, detail and finish of the entrance hall, grand corridor and state rooms together with their furniture are unequalled in Australia. Outstanding exterior features of the house include exceptional stonework, individually carved sandstone chimney pots and bas-relief sculptures.

You can see the 1860 picture posted below that the building virtually looks the same as it did at least today.

Was there an event in the past that might of triggered such a haunting?

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 03:28:36 PM »
The inside of government house in Hobart is like a palace. I cannot imaging this place was haunted by trauma of gruesome deaths. But nerveless some event triggered such a haunting.

The building itself in the Gothic tradition the style of such one imagines to be haunted.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 04:24:39 PM »
The outside of the historic building was visual delight also. Finely hand carved Sandstone a credit to the mason skills of the builders.

Government House Hobart oozes history and mystic, no wonder many people would be inclined to think it haunted?

And haunted it may be if one looks deeper into its past?

To be continued.....

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:42:38 PM »
The Singleton Argus dated Wednesday 27th of March 1895 reports the death of Tasmanian Governor Sir Robert Duff Pictured below.

Could the alleged ghost haunt Hobart's government house be the ghost of Sir Robert Duff?

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 04:08:54 PM »
The Ghost of sir Robert Duff or not? In my book the haunting of Hobart Governors house is one of great  ghost stories of Australia Folklore.

It the place haunted? That I will leave you to decide. One thing we will agree on looking at the picture posted is that it is one of the great historical mansions in the country. And perhaps having a resident ghost is a little Bonus?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
KANACKI, a wonderfully researched story and I absolutely loved the pictures.

Ghost or no ghost, I would be happy just to walk through the Government House to soak up the wonderfully built and decorated building.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 11:30:44 AM »
Hello Simon

Me too.

Kanacki

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 02:47:05 PM »
For those guests I recommend signing up to the forum as there is much more to see and experience.

In regards to this ghost story. One could only think there must be some thing unexplained happening at Tasmania's Government house for a State Governor to publicly state the place was haunted to risk ridicule from the highest level of government?

Makes you think don't it?

Kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 09:40:59 AM »
I quite agree with you KANACKI; it is something such as this that a State Governor, would not say unless he was sure of the facts.

Also, people in Public Office would generally not say anything even if they were 100% sure that such a thing as a ghost existed in their place of work, or other location for that matter.

Take me for instance, I was kept "undercover" by my Spirit Guide, Simon the Cathar and shown how to fit in for over 50 years; only my wife knew and she was and still is, a non-believer.

I would have never been able to get employment if I put such a thing in my CV and most certainly never gained levels in companies, where I attended senior executive and board meetings.

Even now only my immediate family knows as my wife and children need to be protected from the ridicule that would certainly come from some, quite religious, relatives and friends.

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2016, 10:02:44 PM »
Hello Simon I imagine that is so for many people. Including myself.

kanacki

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 09:34:09 AM »
Good Morning KANACKI, here is me talking about my experiences over the years, without knowing how you coped and did you know another Paranormal or, like me, on your own?

(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »
Hello Simon.

I have meet a lot of people around the world over last few decades. Some times it can be a blurr. However people with your insights are in fact very rare. There are whole generation unable to see outside their tablet or Iphone. Unaware of the subtle changes in the world around them.

It seems there are some people in this world have instincts more developed than others. I do not know if its  through cultural or hereditary influences or developed from experience a heightened form of consensus? To detect these positive and negative energy shifts.

Kanacki

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal