Author Topic: "...and the meek shall inherit the earth"  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
  • You cannot open a book without learning something
"...and the meek shall inherit the earth"
« on: May 23, 2016, 12:03:08 PM »
I have, over the last few months, been debating with myself the words from the Bible, "...and the meek shall inherit the earth".

I can only debate these thoughts with myself as I would get nothing but negative responses, so I could either be throwing a grenade or a flower in what I am about to say.

As a bit of background, like most of my Posts, they start out as a thought, which comes out of the blue and in this case, it is not because I read the Bible or an article covering what I am about to propose.

I need to Post this otherwise it will spin around in my brain. LOL

It struck me recently that since I was a child, Priests, etc., and people who have strong religious belief always refer to this part of the Bible as the "Meek Humans" will inherit the earth, which now seems to me to be counter-intuitive as it has been the humans that have throughout their time on this world fought each other for various reasons and spilled blood throughout the Centuries.

I think those that should inherit the earth are the animals, birds, creatures of the sea and air, for these are truly "the meek" referred too in the Bible.

There will never be a time that humans will be at one with all and wars will continue into the future. There is a cycle of wars, throughout history, no matter how much more intelligent we get.

We just get better at building more sophisticated weapons of mass destruction and the cycle continues.
To practice five things under all circumstances constitutes perfect virtue;

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline KANACKI

• Senior Contributor
  • Kanacki ceisiwr o'r ateb
Re: "...and the meek shall inherit the earth"
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 08:44:07 PM »
Hello Simon

By just viewing the fossil records.  The earth in much older than we imagine. Human kind will come and go just like all the life forms before us. Mankind is merely a flash in a moment of time in the earths long journey. Even the earth itself is not eternal it will one day be absorbed into the sun as the sun evolves into a red giant .

Even the giver of life the sun shall one day perish also as change my friend is eternal outcome of time. The last to go will be the most primitive and minuscule forms of life so thus it is true what we consider meek and insignificant will one day inherit the earth. long after any trace of mankind will be found except perhaps in fossils?

Such is the true preciousness of life my friend.

Kanacki

Offline GaryTheDemon

• Wordsmith
  • Global Moderator
  • Senior Contributor
  • Look behind you. Now!
    • Videoscape Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:33:59 PM »
I think it was a case of misperception.  I think what was originally said was that the 'bleak' would inherit the earth.  Because after the human race has finished destroying it, what's left, if anything, will be bleak...

If you cannot love, then at least don't hate.
If you cannot help, then at least don't hurt.

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 10:41:31 AM »
KANACKI, very well put and Gary, your usual use of the written word; I could not stop laughing, although it is not a laughing matter, but one must smile in the face of the fools running, or is it ruining, this beautiful blue planet.

These five are gravity, generosity of (the) soul, sincerity, earnestness and kindness.
(Confucius)

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »
The bible is manmade. Constructions to control people. That's not to say the sentiment in the phrase isn't worthy though.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Simon2

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:34:09 AM »
Thank you Christine.

Hope you are in a more positive place now.

(Confucius)

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal