Author Topic: Paranormal footage & documentaries - queries  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Rear Admiral

• Newcomer
Paranormal footage & documentaries - queries
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
I've seen quite a few documentaries and clips of (alleged) Paranormal/Unexplained/UFO phenomena. One such series has been Paranormal Witness http://www.syfy.com/paranormalwitness. I must say that I find many segments/episodes highly questionable, but a few select segments have me truly amazed.

I was hoping some forum readers might be able to explain a couple things to me:
Is there any way to go about verifying the authenticity of these documentary episodes?
Are there are particular documentaries that are genuine and not highly dramatised?

What I'm hoping is to get some pointers of where some genuine Paranormal footage can be sourced, not just repeated emphasis on how most commercial material is utter trash.

I hope to get a reply. Thanks.

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
Re: Paranormal footage & documentaries - queries
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 06:56:45 PM »
Hi Rear Admiral.
At the moment I am studying history as film at Uni level. We cover everything from animation to documentaries, movies of all sorts. These shows are meant to be money making ventures. In honesty, I rarely watch them. Most have dramatisations of some sort as it is rare than a crew is there to capture real time footage of a team actually capturing something on film. If you wanted to try and verify the contents of some of the shows, it would probably be best to see if anything comes up on the archives of local newspapers. That might be a good place to start. Many of these shows mention various historical events, so they can often be verified. Keep in mind, the press can sensationalise as well.

As to where to source material that isn't complete garbage, that's tough. Most of it is fake, exaggerated, poorly shot or a bunch of people who think they know what they are doing but don't. I think the most likely way to find stuff that doesn't fit in these categories is by fining the odd genuine person who posts something on youtube wanting help in trying to work out what it is.

Have you ever seen Ghost inside my Child? (Horrible name, some dramatisation, but also some good background basic verifiable stuff).
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline Rear Admiral

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 07:49:54 PM »
Hi Rear Admiral.
At the moment I am studying history as film at Uni level. We cover everything from animation to documentaries, movies of all sorts. These shows are meant to be money making ventures. In honesty, I rarely watch them. Most have dramatisations of some sort as it is rare than a crew is there to capture real time footage of a team actually capturing something on film. If you wanted to try and verify the contents of some of the shows, it would probably be best to see if anything comes up on the archives of local newspapers. That might be a good place to start. Many of these shows mention various historical events, so they can often be verified. Keep in mind, the press can sensationalise as well.

As to where to source material that isn't complete garbage, that's tough. Most of it is fake, exaggerated, poorly shot or a bunch of people who think they know what they are doing but don't. I think the most likely way to find stuff that doesn't fit in these categories is by fining the odd genuine person who posts something on youtube wanting help in trying to work out what it is.

Have you ever seen Ghost inside my Child? (Horrible name, some dramatisation, but also some good background basic verifiable stuff).

Thankyou for your reply Christine - much appreciated.

Ghost inside my child?  Sorry, never heard of it.
I have seen some footage, here and there, that has truly amazed me.  What I am trying to do is find where more genuine material (or honest, serious re-enactments) can be found.

Again, thankyou.

*Peace*

Offline Christine

• Administrator
  • Senior Contributor
    • http://www.spookspotters.com.au
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 09:12:05 PM »
Look that show up. It's more a reincarnation show, but with some very compelling stories.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.
Douglas Adams

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »
I think the best way you can tell wether a program is accurate or not is through your own research.  When you become widely read on the subject you will see that the same things quite often reoccur again and agin with bits altered or added. I know that one episode on Psychic witness relating to a family attacked by dogmen was somewhat exaggerated because in my travels I had heard the account on an interview with the lady involved.

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 03:04:58 PM »
Hi Rear Admiral,

Have you researched the Tavis Walton UFO story; sure holywood has there own beat up take on it but its has stood the test of time. I have met the guy once and he seems just like a normal guy trying to under stand WTF happened to him lol.

Hey Cateyes, where could I find that interview about the dogmen, I did see the show but want to hear that interview.
Light, Love and wisdom

Offline catseyes

• Cryptocat
  • Spookspotter Team
  • Senior Contributor
  • Felineous caticus pusspuss

Offline Alien88

• UFO Whiz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Consider all possibilities
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:19:43 PM »
Thanks CE,

I almost fell out of my chair when I detected an Australian relaying her encounter (in QLD); I made the mistaken assumption that these sightings only happened in the USA lol.  The episode was a combination of stories and did not go into too much detail (episode 60 I think it was). I will now listen to the full account and hear her encounter in detail.

They seem, at a very brief glance, to exhibit the same behavioural characteristics as the Yowie, such as rock throwing, shaking trees/shrubs and the occasional tantrum when humans encroach on their territory.
Light, Love and wisdom

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy
SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal